How People Learn

So, I read “How People Learn” this summer.  The first 2 chapters really made me think.  A lot.  They made me really deeply examine my teaching methods.  And what I found out was that I was doing a lot of things right but that I had a lot of room to improve.  So I’ve decided to reinvent my classes – again (my wife says I do this every year).

Am I throwing the baby out with the bathwater?  NO!  But I am going to critically examine all of the things that I’ve had students do in class in the past.  The ones that were bad beyond repair will be nuked.  Everything else will be improved, tweaked, fine-tuned, revamped, revised and remade.

“How People Learn” basically says that people learn when 3 things happen:

1. prior knowledge is activated
  2. learning is in-depth and provides a factual base
  3. learning is metacognitive.

These are the guiding principles of my classroom reinvention.  Wish me luck because I’m going to need it!

• #   Katje Lehrman on 09.26.09 at 11:54 am     

Even the best teaching practices need to be rethought and modified as the students (and the teacher) change. Good luck with your reinvention!

Thanks! I’ll need it! I’m already finding that this is more exciting for me than trying to create and deliver a really good lesson.

• #   Jan Moreland on 09.26.09 at 12:44 pm     

Metacognition is something that I’ve been working on for a few years with my Key Stage 4 students. Those who make a good job of their learning journals seem to exceed their predicted grades. I assume that this is because they are actually thinking about their learning.

Anyway – keep us up to date with progress!

Yeah, metacognition is definitely crucial for students. So few come to me with an understanding of those skills and yet they really seem to make a difference for them!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How People Learn | Wisdom Begins with Wonder