Why are we blogging in science class?

I’ve been asked by students and a couple of parents – “why are we blogging in science class?”
Students collaborating

There are several reasons:

Paper reduction

In my experience, students do not value paper.  They see any work done on paper as disposable – worth little more than the paper itself.  Paper assignments are constantly left laying around my room – from my class and from others – even work that has not yet been turned in!

We go through WAY too much paper in schools – nearly all of which ends up in the trash – wasting money and natural resources

Reflection for learning

I want students to reflect on their learning.

In my opinion (supported by educational research), students retain much more of their learning if they take the time to reflect on it.  This means thinking back on what they learned and why it is important and/or valuable.  This means evaluating the quality of their work and their level of effort.  It also means setting goals for future learning experiences!

Public nature of blogs

Students’ work on their blogs is public – visible to the world.  This raises the value of the work because it will not only be seen by their teacher.  Already my students have received comments and feedback from teachers around the country and from fellow students in Minden, Louisiana.  Parents and peers can also view the work and leave comments.

Creation of an electronic portfolio

Students in my classes are creating a year-long digital portfolio of their work.  At the end of the year, they will be able to look back on what they’ve done and reflect on how much they have learned.  They should be able to see evidence of their learning and their growth.

At the end of each semester, I plan to have my students compile some examples of their best work to post to their blog and reflect on.  This will be part of the final semester assessment in my class.

Revision

I have found this year that students are MUCH more willing to revise and improve work that has been done electronically.  Handwritten assignments that must be completely rewritten are rarely revised – even if the student is not happy with his/her grade!  It’s just too much work in their eyes to rewrite the whole thing!

This is the world that we live in!

The world that we live in – that my students have grown up in – is digital!

This is what they know and, more importantly, this is what their future lives will center around.  I am doing my part to help to prepare them for that world – as a student, as a future employee, and as a citizen

• #   J. Stanley on 11.14.09 at 8:27 pm     

First off, great post! Secondly,it always brings a smile to my face when instructors/teachers take the time to create a new learning environment for students. The Internet, blogging and social media is here to stay and educating our youth on digital media, computers etc. is excellent exposure. Lastly, you are absolutely right, this is the world we live in….

This is a great educational opportunity and educators should not pass on this opportunity.

Thanks

• #   Mr. Rice on 11.15.09 at 6:47 am     

Thanks. I really value blogging as a tool. Students can use it for so many things!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Why are we blogging in science class? | Wisdom Begins with Wonder
  2. Tweets that mention Why are we blogging in science class? | Wisdom Begins with Wonder -- Topsy.com
  3. Blogging with students – a reflection | Wisdom Begins with Wonder