Vacation?

What can you do today to make yourself a better teacher?

I have a confession to make.

I’m a learning junkie.

There – I said it!

Yesterday was the first day of my Winter Break. I’ve been mildly sick all of the last week of school and refusing to stay home because I didn’t want to call in sick right before break. I have a 4 week old newborn at home. I really need a break this year!

So what did I do yesterday?

• Wrote a proposal for a Washington STEM Entrepenurial Award (partly done with one hand while holding a sleeping infant)
  • Wrote a proposal to lead a Professional Learning Community study of formative assessment, feedback and summative assessment with my colleagues in January
  • Read 2 chapters of Making Learning Whole (mostly while riding my exercise bike)
  • Caught up on reading a few of my favorite blogs by my fellow educators

Of course, I also had plenty of time to read to the kids, hold the baby, take a nap, and watch A Christmas Story with the whole family. ┬áDon’t worry – my family is not getting neglected!

I’ve gotten to the point where I can’t learn enough. I can’t improve my practice as an educator fast enough. The longer I teach, the more urgency I teach with.

The desire to become the best teacher I can be drives my voracious appetite for learning. I have a really hard time understanding teachers who don’t engage in any self-directed professional learning. It’s actually become a real pet peeve of mine to hear teachers say things like, “I don’t have time to READ!” Then they launch into a long-winded conversation about whatever crappy T.V. show they watched the night before.

How do you have time to NOT read?

How can you NOT care to improve as an educator?

I’m going to enjoy the heck out of my vacation. I’m also going to come back from this break a better educator than I was before it.

• #   paul on 12.19.10 at 5:22 pm     

Like you, I love to learn and try to become a better teacher. I look forward to a bunch of reading & researching ideas over these two weeks (as soon as I grade the last things we did). I am not in a proposal writing mode, but I have many blogs to read and places to research ideas. I asked for one book for Christmas, so I have to wait a week to see if I need to buy it myself (iPad edition!!). I also do not understand my fellow teachers who do NO self directed PD. But I do need to do some decorating & shopping for family (i do not have one like you, but I have bros, aunts, uncles, cousins..).
    Happy Holidays. Recharge the batteries for the rest of the year.

• #   Naomi Epstein on 12.20.10 at 6:56 am     

Oh, I hear you! I often find that I have very little in common with some teachers as I practically never watch TV and always prefer to talk about education!

On the other hand I envy your statements about the family not getting neglected. My boys are HUGE now but I can’t cook or fold laundry while reading articles. I teach many hours and I feel torn between things that ned to be done.

Be well!

• #   Alfonso Gonzalez on 12.21.10 at 5:01 pm     

So weird! I’ve done almost all the things you’ve done so far this break, even getting sick right before break! My kids are 13 and 7 but they still require attention, thank goodness.

I’m right there with you. I find that there just isn’t enough time to do as much of it all as I want. I take turns doings all the thing I love to do and need to do. I have to admit that I watch TV and movies, with my wife, and I play WoW and those things take time. I often dream of being able to stop time to read as long as I want. Or to sleep! Then I could be up and doing stuff all the time and still be fully rested. :)

Al,

We seem to think and work a lot alike. I’d love to get to sit down and talk someday in person!