Brainstorming Action Research

I’m down to the last 2 semesters of my Master’s Degree program through the University of Wisonsin-Oskosh. The primary focus of these last 2 semesters is action research. I am in the early stages of planning an intensive action research project and would love feedback on my ideas.

Here are a few of the questions I’m considering:

• How can I increase student engagement during inquiry or self-directed tasks?
  • How do thinking routines, structures and protocols affect student engagement?
  • How can I best use goal setting, feedback and reflection to increase student engagement?
  • How do class meetings affect classroom climate and culture?
  • How can I integrate more inquiry into project based learning while meeting state standards?
  • How does school culture affect the culture of my classroom?
  • How can I improve work completion rates in my classroom?
  • How can I provide more consistent and useful feedback to my students about their effort and their learning?

As you can see, many of my ideas center around inquiry, democratic classroom and student engagement. These are obviously important topics that are very close to my heart.

Right now, I think I want student engagement to be a factor in my action research but I have yet to locate a good tool for measuring engagement. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

• #   Becca on 02.04.12 at 8:15 pm     

Hello,
    I’ve been following your blog for some time now, but this is the first time I have left a comment. I finished my Master’s about two years ago, and had a similar action research project related to technology and student engagement. How I measured engagement was through formative and summative assessment. I decided that if students were engaged not only would the completion rates of formative assessments increase, but the depth of understanding in summative assessments would increase too. Email me if you want to chat further on this topic that is also near and dear to my heart.

Becca,

Thanks for commenting! Your voice is absolutely welcome here!

I would love to hear more about your methods and will send you an email. Incidentally, what I’m looking for is probably some sort of observational assessment, rather than an indirect measure but I’m not ruling anything out at this point!

• #   Barbara Wilkins on 02.09.12 at 9:56 am     

To increase the amount of student engagement, make sure that the subject matter chosen and the way that it is presented is interesting to the students. Also, do some research to see how others quantified engagement in their research.