I work about as much as is humanly possible while still maintaining a personal life and time for my family. I have read about innovative schools where teachers have a lighter class load and more time during the day to do the complicated job of teaching more effectively.
I often wonder what I could do if I had more time during my work day. Here is a list of 13 things I would do with more time:
- Reflect daily on the effectiveness of my lessons and plan better ones for tomorrow
- Plan more creative ways to integrate technology effectively in my classroom
- Keep detailed records of the learning evidence shown by each of my students
- Contact parents regularly with detailed reports about their students
- Maintain a classroom website that would be updated daily with information about what happened in each class, both for students and their families
- Give students more detailed feedback about their work, their learning, and their potential
- Plan more individualized and differentiated activities based on specific student needs and interests
- Do a lot more inquiry-based activities
- Do more professional reading
- Meet with my colleagues to learn together
- Meet with my colleagues to plan together
- Blog professionally more consistently
- Meet with students individually outside of class time to discuss their learning and set goals
What would you do with more time during the work day?