This is one of those that I must constantly remind myself about!
Today, my students were working mostly independently on a research project. I spent the entire class period rotating between my students. I sat down and talked to every single student in each class today.
I don’t do this nearly as often as I should. Every time I do, the conversation is incredibly valuable for both of us on many levels:
- I learn more about each student as a person
- I learn more about each student as a learner
- I correct important misconceptions
- I give valuable feedback to students about their learning
- I receive valuable feedback from students about my teaching
- I improve my relationships with the people whom I am privileged to teach
- My reasons for loving teaching are reaffirmed
Even though today was not a perfect day in my classroom, it was an important one.